Don’t get me wrong, I really love to cook! I love getting creative and combining different flavors to see what happens, and trying new types of food that I never have before. I love how my kitchen feels like my space. It is where my imagination comes alive and where I try to always challenge myself to do better. I love finding the balance between healthy and indulgent and creating meals that taste so good that they COULDN’T be healthy?!
Oh yes. There had to be a, but. Oh stop, you know which but I am talking about!
Sometimes I come home and even a bowl of cereal just seems too hard.
Alas, I must persevere because this girl is STARVIN’ and we gots ta’ eat.
This is when the kitchen magic must happen and I need that magic to work within 30 minutes.
Soups are a good go-to for these nights, where you need to be able to throw everything in a bowl and it taste good and leave you with a good ole “ahhh!”
Soups are definitely good for that, but for me…I am more like a soupy pasta girl. Yeah, I realize that isn’t a thing, but it is the best description of this not-soupy-enough-to-be-soup BUT too-soupy-to-be-pasta dish!
Still with me?
Healthy ingredients sneaked in together with seasoned goodness, some herby love and topped with parmesan for good measure all cozied up in a bowl to be eaten while curled up on the couch…er…at the dinner table like the adult you are.
Although not in the running for any beauty contest, this bowl of chewy satisfying flavors surprised Steven and I both. Like we literally almost spoke over each other when we said “Wow, this is actually good!”
My poor husband.
Every night is a science experiment in the kitchen and he sits down each time saying, ‘what is this?’ to which I normally say “I don’t know yet.” #reallife
I love how this combo of simple ingredients, that you probably already have in your cupboards, can create a quick dinner for when you are tempted to google Chipotle’s takeout number. No judgements here, guys…been there.
Let this be your answer! Use those kitchen appliances to kick the food prep’s butt and tip your hat to yourself 30 minutes later. You just made a healthy dinner that actually tasted good.
Money in yo’ pocket.
Any delicious soups out there that I need to try? I would love to give them a second chance!
*Nutritional info is for 1 serving, about a cup.*
- 1 lb. ground meat (I used turkey)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 celery stalks
- 8 oz. baby carrots
- 2 small onions
- 15 oz. great northern white beans
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 cups short cut pasta (I used pipe rigate)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Optional Toppings:
- Green onion
- Heat a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and begin to brown meat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to a food processor or blender and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add to browned meat and allow vegetables to soften (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients and lower heat. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally, remove from heat and serve.