5 Ingredient Pasta Skillet with sweet Italian Sausage is a simple skillet dinner with 5 main ingredients, ready in less than 30 minutes and only requiring one skillet! The poster child of quick n’ easy dinners!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for your support!
I am fairly certain that my beloved fall is in the air, even in good ole humid Georgia and it seriously has me SO excited. The breeze that made my hair whisk around and tickle my nose this morning, was like a big hug from my favorite season! Naturally things such as the Georgia National Fair (starting next week -eek!) came to mind, and chai tea lattes, ankle boots, and skillet dinners of course! <see how I tied that in 😉
Pasta Skillet FTW
I realize everyone talks about quick pasta dinners as a summer thing, because you don’t want to be in the kitchen and yay! for hot weather, I get it. Personally, however, I come alive in the fall. Between the humidity, lack of pool and zero breeze situation we have going on in the summer in our southern state, I am 98% motivated to just stay inside and cook.
Then the temperature hits below 80 degrees, there is a breeze in the shade, and hot tea is back in my life and HI (wave) great outdoors! A simple pasta dish or crockpot meal (<series coming soon!!) makes my life complete. With only 5 major ingredients, this simple, one dish pasta is king of the category!
Here’s a run-down:
- You need that one big skillet that you put everything in ?. Here is the one I recommend because it is huge, kills it when it comes to clean up, and manages to hold ALL my skillet creations > Calphalon Skillet or my other favorite works great as well > Lodge Skillet
- Veggie pasta! You can eat your pasta and veggies too (hallelujah!) Better yet, this pasta tastes like any other pasta and you could most definitely sneak this by the family. Whatever veggies they can’t see won’t hurt ’em 😉
- Sauce is totally a focal point in this whole short ingredient list pasta situation. We are talking QUALITY guys. I mean, not $10 jarred pasta, but definitely splurge on your favorite. If you are me, that translates to non-generic #truth, although Kroger’s Premium line has awesome options.
- This magical trio that comes next is what truly makes this pasta sing! Sweet Italian turkey sausage sauteed in with onion and garlic bring things to flavor central!
Whip it all up in your massive pasta skillet toss in some salt and pepper and throw in some fresh basil and Parmesan for fancy’s sake and dive in! The pile of crunchy leaves is next, obviously.
Crack the windows and enjoy the crisp air, the cozy levels of this pasta dish are going to embrace EVERYTHING fall ??❤??
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations! ?
Tools Used for this Recipe:
- 10oz sweet italian turkey sausage
- 25 oz high quality pasta sauce
- 8 oz Garden Delight rotini
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: Parmesan, fresh basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage and onion until sausage is browned and onion has tenderized (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, before adding the sauce and allow to reduce slightly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper, pour in the pasta and add 2 cups of water, then stir and cover. Allow to simmer on medium for 7-10 minutes or until pasta has reached desired texture.
- *I like to grab a noodle at the 7 minute mark and chew it to see if it is a bit too al dente or just right!