Completely creamy, you didnt have to peel them, and they cooked while you were watching Netflix. Ahh! Easy Crock Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes have arrived and we are going to make these happen for you pronto. But before we discuss sweet potato things in detail, Long time no speak, guys! I can’t believe I have deserted you so long and deprived you of food eye candy and delicious recipes-see Sweet Potato photo above. Trust me though, you didn’t want anything coming out of my kitchen during this bit of silence. Sickness hit the house and this gal was stearin’ clear of anything work related *ahem* yes even cooking. What a doozy. Want some major honesty? Our valentine’s day was spent on the couch with a frozen pizza and Virgil’s Root Beer, because classy. But just a side note for you root beer connoisseurs like us, Virgil’s is where it’s at. ?
Okay, story time is over! I hope your Valentine’s day was fantastic and spent with those that love you. But if not, these potatoes might just be the best way to eat away your sorrows. I would say they are definitely great for happiness too and the easy-levels will have you loving life and your lack of involvement in this healthy side dish.
Peeling, practically anything, is the WORST and I loathe it with all of my being-drama. But I think you may feel some level of that hatred so I am getting the vibe you like the idea of throwing those sweet potatoes in the crock pot, hitting the ‘high’ button and showing up 4 hours later to see fully cooked potatoes with a peel that will literally fall right off. Cue the angels, folks, it IS that good.
Take my advice and allow those potatoes to cool because they turn into volcanic lava for several minutes and will singe the very print off your finger. Sweet potatoes are not to be feared, but respect their need to cool off or that will make it evident in a not so pleasant way. Just ask my missing fingers.
Poof! A quick removal of the skin and you have your lovely soft ‘tatoes to work with and add in the loads of flavor you crave!
We enjoy sweet potatoes as a base for a lot of meals, including chicken or a veggie sauté or even to thicken soups or chili so we mainly keep ours plain, but the recipe below is a simple creamy garlic blend. Sweet potatoes are one of the BEST sources of vitamin A and fat free! They bring life to any meal as a grain substitute, also making them a great gluten-free option.
Here are a few recipes that would taste amazing with a large scoop of creamy sweet potatoes:
- Skillet Fiesta Chili–the thick nature of this chili would be perfect with a creamy sweet potato blended right in
- Nacho Mex Bowls–swap out the nachos for sweet potatoes
- 30 Minute Ground Turkey Potluck–potlucks are perfect for throwing everything in, try some sweet potatoes while your at it!
- Spiced Crock Pot Cherry Pepper Chicken–add in some corn, cilantro and a spoonful of mashed sweet potatoes and you have a bowl of flavor!
*Nutritional Information is for 1 serving of sweet potatoes. Nutritional info is approximate and will change depending on the ingredient substitutions.*
Basic Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup water
Creamy Garlic Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp. Mascarpone*
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Place sweet potatoes in a large crockpot and pour ¼ cup water over top and cover. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes or until skin has cooled to touch and slice in half. Peel skin off each potato and dispose.
- When skin has been removed, mash potatoes with a fork and serve or use immersion blender for a creamier texture. If adding flavor, stir in all under "Creamy Garlic Sweet Potatoes" ingredient list.
*Nutritional info is for the Creamy Garlic Sweet Potatoes, if the basic version is chosen, caloric content will decrease.