Garden Mozzarella Pita utilizes summer time vegetables, homemade pesto, and delicious salty bacon for a quick fresh meal!
Nights seem to rush by so quickly in the summer. I rush in the door having little energy and wanting to eat healthy. However, the hangry is settling in and I just search for the quickest thing to put in my mouth. My body craves all these lovely summer vegetables and fruits but my stomach takes over and will accept anything edible.
I have done my best to meal prep each week and at least pre-make some sauces and obviously my latest pesto, to which I will say has been quite successful! A speedy chicken masala here, a quick cashew cream skillet there; and various versions of pasta, tossing in every sensible ingredient on hand, and some not so sensible ingredients.
My latest go-to resembles pizza (big surprise, I know). Unlike most pizza, it is over all healthy and if you nix the bacon, vegetarian! Oddly enough, the pesto layer gives a Greek vibe when combined with soft mozzarella, and sautéed veggies. Those rich cherry tomatoes give a burst of juicy flavor to each bite that shouts summer.
Yes, it is delicious on it’s own, but that salty bacon sprinkle takes things from delightful to OH MY GOSH this is good. <my standard for dinner time.
Other than a five minute sauté of mandolin sliced veggies and some crisping of bacon, you can totally skip the oven. Pro tip: pick this bad boy up like a gyro and have at it, no broiling necessary. Of course, I didn’t discover that because my oven broke while photographing this recipe -_-. Nope.
Seriously though, melty mozzarella is obviously the best cheesy situation, but you can skip it and keep things chilled for a 20 minute satisfying dinner. No tempting take out, no chips and queso, no PB & J sandwiches. We are adults with hangry needs and health goals! But just in case, have some hummus and carrots near by for weak moments 0_0.
Scroll down for more quick meals and my favorite blog for finding options during my hangry status!
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations! ?
- 5 pita bread
- about ¼ cup pesto, or 2-2.5 tsp. per pita
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz mozzarella
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ground parmesan
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Set oven to broil.
- Spread about 2 tsp. pesto on each pita bread and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add onion and pepper slices to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender (about 5-7 minutes), remove and set aside.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and add to pan. Cook until crispy (about 3-5 minutes) and place on paper towels to remove some of the grease.
- Tear small pieces of mozzarella and place on top of pesto layer and add pitas to the oven, broiling for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Divide the sautéed vegetables among the pitas and top with halved tomatoes, sprinkle with bacon, add desired parmesan and serve.
*depending on how much you like the pesto flavor, use your discretion when spreading on the bread.
*try skipping the bacon if you want to keep this vegetarian!
Other Quick Meals to try:
Sonja and Alex, over at A Couple Cooks, have a delicious series going on right now that I think you will love! Check out their Hangry Series for other options to kick that bad craving or their podcast for even more tips. Plus they are adorable 🙂