Greenville, South Carolina is an exciting downtown spot with endless foodie destinations and a gorgeous river for all to gather! Here’s 17 must-see recommendations for your next visit.
I have had my sights set on Greenville, SC ever since I met a friend for coffee there a few years back (hi Emily!). It was only a few hours and I was hooked and left wanting more! When a friend’s wedding had us nearby for the weekend, I starting the planning, research and map charting- no I’m not type A, why do you ask?
We are hardcore AirBnB converts. Part of the experience of each trip for me, is scanning the AirBnB app to locate the coolest options in our destination. We found the perfect spot, literally, around the corner from downtown Traveler’s Rest (a short drive from Greenville). We had the perfect space for the two of us and our pups in a spot with lots of character, and added benefits like La Croix stocked fridge and organic granola bars. 🙂 It’s like they already knew us <3
This is where we stayed -> Traveler’s Rest Condo
**Snag $20 off of your 1st stay by using this code > www.airbnb.com/c/brittanyk59 **
Although not in Greenville, I would be remisced if I did not recommend Traveler’s Rest (TR to the locals, …don’t quote me on that though) as a destination or short detour. With only a short 15 minute drive from downtown, it is well-worth the stop. We loved staying there for the smalltown vibe and lack of busyness from a bustling Downtown Greenville.
Spots 1- 5 are in TR and the rest are right in Greenville!
Oh dear Greenville, so much to do so little time. My list was long and regardless of the motivated brisk pace I kept, (I think our pups were panting in every photo we took) I didn’t quite make it everywhere on my list. However, I have included honorable mentions, for when we return! If you make it there before me, let me know what you think 😀 Enough talk, let’s get into it!
- Sidewall Pizza Company -this was our absolute first stop when we hit downtown TR. With great reviews online, we were anxious to see what the fuss was all about. We indulged in the “Protein” (meat lovers) pizza and the quality is unmistakable. The environment is adorable and the large garage door opens up to a twinkle-light lit patio for a quaint and eclectic feel.
- Special Note: Be sure to try Puck Soda while there. It is delicious sans corn syrup or artificial flavors and the taste difference is undeniable…we enjoyed the Black Cherry and Vanilla Cream and both were incredible! Pretty sure we would return just for the soda!
- The Whistle Stop @ the American Café ** -we ran out of time to actually visit this spot but walked past it on a stroll through downtown and definitely plan to dine on the roof top ‘caboose’ next time we visit!
- Tandem Creperie & Coffeehouse -Ahh what a treat <3 I grabbed a honey lavender latte to-go on our way out of town the first day, and, after sipping, I would be back. So fragrant and lightly sweetened. It was perfection. We got to actually sample their famous crepes the last day and the Lumberjack crepe did NOT disappoint. So much so, in fact, that I didn’t take a photo because we finished it too quickly. Yes, we split it, because it was THAT large! #foodiefail
- The Farmer’s Market -if there is a farmer’s market to visit in a 20 mile radius…I will be finding it. When I found out there was one just down the street, I grabbed my coffee and let my nose lead the way. It is obvious the farmer’s market is a big deal in TR by all the many beautiful options of produce, natural products, baked goods (<3) and even fresh fish! <totally threw off my nose for a few moments btw, they might consider moving the fresh fish to the BACK of the line 0_0. Only sad note, no furry friends permitted 🙁 The girls had to watch from a distance.
- Farmhouse Tacos -we drove by this place all weekend and I was determined to stop in before leaving town and so I did. At 9:30pm-the last night of our trip. I managed to snag some tacos to-go and enjoyed the atmosphere for a few short moments while waiting. After far too much deliberation (I think the waitress was getting a tad annoyed with me o_0) I decided on Chipotle BBQ Chicken & Ancho Charred Chicken. Don’t even ask me to choose my favorite- I simply couldn’t! <3
- Swamp Rabbit Trail-We loved this nice, wide paved trail for bike riders, walkers, joggers, and those with little furry partners! It made for an amazing walk through Traveler’s Rest Downtown, but it sure doesn’t end there! It winds right next to one of my favorite spots in Greenville, the cute and totally unique Swamp Rabbit Cafe & Grocery.
- Swamp Rabbit Café & Grocery-I just wanted to wrap this place up and stuff it in my pocket. I couldn’t handle the cuteness of the little covered outdoor eatery, super fresh and delicious ingredients, adorable market with all the smiling faces, organic produce, little trinkets and a full cooler of all the Kombuchas. Practically foodie heaven. And if that isn’t enough, there was goat yoga happening for all to see <3. TRUE STORY! Be sure to follow them on Instagram for all the amazing activities they have happening weekly!
- Pita House-Not quite the tourist spot, I assure you. To be honest, it’s actually kind of scary. But wait!! It is AUTHENTIC. If you have ever had legitimate hummus, like from Israel #HummusSnob, you know that no homemade or store-bought version is quite the same. My friends, if you can get past the less-than-stellar atmosphere you will experience true hummus bliss, for under $5, might I add?!
- The Drop-In Store **-After reading this review I am so bummed that I didn’t make it to that side of town!! Next time…
- Snackworks -Don’t miss this hole in the wall while touring downtown. Don’t let the casual location fool you, these folks take lunch seriously. I chose a sunshine smoothie, and had every ingredient, chopped and blended right in front of me! Talk about fresh!
- Spill the Beans ** -I am a sucker for a hip coffee shop, can’t wait to hit this place up next time we visit!
- Falls Park on the Reedy-this park is worth the drive alone, and very conveniently located in the middle of downtown. Running water flows through, with an incredible architectural bridge and statues, spots for your furry friends to mingle by the water, beautiful trails and just everything you want in a park. We will definitely be back!
- Trader Joes -so you may have a trader joes around the corner, but the closest one to me is nearly two hours away so browsing trader joes is actually a destination and has a necessary spot in this list. #traderjoesforever
- Vintage Now Modern -can’t plan a trip to Chip and Joanna’s Silo’s just yet? Well, this place needs to be on your list then, because this is Greenville’s version of our favorite Fixer Upper couple’s style and I may have visited twice while I was there (monkey)
- The Cook’s Station -everything pretty for your foodie heart, and BONUS they have cooking classes!!
- Paris Mountain State Park **-on the list for next time! This state park is the perfect spot to enjoy the outdoorsy side of Greenville with bike trails, boating, fishing, swimming, and hiking.
- Automatic Taco (food truck) ** -I really need this truck to make it’s way to Georgia! We weren’t able to track it down and fit it in the schedule, but it will definitely be on the radar next time.