Welcome to Meatless Monday!
It’s not too often we can say that around these parts, so I am taking full advantage.
Not to mention, Frittata?! I mean heyyy FANCY. But while we can all feel sophisticated by making things such as Frittatas and participating in trendy things such as ‘meatless Monday’ that doesn’t mean we have to work for it.
No, my friends, a frittata is a glorified omelette without the tricky flipping action, so really all this fancy translates to –lazy. ?
But I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.
Frittata is Italian and translates as “fried” so…that pretty much decided the fact that I would be experimenting with this lovely egg dish where you throw in-all-the-things.
And that is truly what it is all about.
A simple bit of chopping up veggies and shredding of cheese and you are well over half way there to your Italian breakfast dinner!
I sort of emptied the produce drawer in my fridge for this one, and it worked out GREAT. So, feel free to do the same with your own…and get creative with it! Think omelette but easier and bigger and get to chopping 🙂
Once you have prepped your veggies, you will just add it to a medium-hot skillet (that is oven safe) and saute them a bit. They will get all tender and delicious and all those flavors will just begin to meld together.
Side note: I wanted my potatoes soft, so I threw them in the microwave for a minute or two so they were already prepped for the frittata. This helped cut out time for sauteing…feel free to use your own discretion on that though!
Whisk all the eggs in a bowl with a dash of milk and add to the skillet, covering all the veggies in your skillet. Pop the skillet in the oven for a few minutes and then add the cheese.
In no time you will have this colorful egg-pie-skillet-fluffy dinner with a blanket of cheesy goodness on top ready for slicing!
Each slice is loaded with staying power, veggies and cheese to make this breakfast/brunch/dinner all kinds of levels of comfort. I hope you will try this!
Cleaning out the produce drawer never looked so sophisticated 😉
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 yellow pepper (diced)
- 1 cup spinach (chopped)
- 5 fingerling potatoes (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- ¾ cup smoked gouda (shredded)
- Olive oil spray
- Prep all vegetable ingredients, microwave potatoes for 1-2 minutes until tender, shred cheese and add to a hot skillet with olive oil spray. Whisk eggs and milk and set aside.
- Saute ingredients until tender, about 3-4 minutes and pour egg mixture over veggies. Add to a 350 degree oven for 3-4 minutes or until eggs have set. To test, slice the center, if no egg runs, the frittata is done, if eggs are not done, continue to cook.
- Remove from oven sprinkle with the smoked gouda and allow to set for 5 minutes. Slice and serve with desired toppings.