I actually LOVE when I get to the point that I crave healthy food.
Sometimes I forget that I love healthy so much when a too-big juicy hamburger is placed before me not once…but twice this weekend 0_0
It was birthday weekend
week around our household and that means repeated unhealthy offenses in the best…err…worst way [torn].
Mine and Steven’s birthdays are a mere 4 days a part so we get quite caught up in the birthday celebration Part….37… and one bad meal turns into two…which turns into my-birthday-is-two-days-away-so-i-don’t-want-to-cook…and my sweet husband humors me. And somehow (not a clue how) we get to the end of the celebratory days and we have eaten out practically every meal and all we want is to drown in greens and all.the.vegetables.
Today is certainly no exception.
Although not the most photogenic (hi, ugly green soup-like sauce that was actually delicious) this bowl of eggy sunshine and saucy grain goodness was perfectly filling and loaded with flavor!
In the spirt of healthy, let’s ignore bad soupy greenness and embrace lovely eggs and creamy avocado because they are our favorite.
The first of this bowl involved my favorite superfood: Quinoa.
On its own…I mean I hate judgin’ but it’s just plain ole bland.
Solution: chicken broth and green chiles! I always try to cook any grains in chicken or vegetable broth since it truly adds so many flavors, but I added a small can of green chiles on a whim this time and WOW. I kept opening the lid and just snacking on the delicious fragrance that is this chicken broth and chile action!
Besides drinking in fragrances and weird food blogger things, you are going to love how simple this recipe is. Sometimes I can’t even handle some of my long involved recipes. Knowing they are satisfying to all my taste buds just isn’t enough to make me put the effort in some days. But, 30 minutes? Yes, I can handle 30 minutes and let’s be honest; I was snacking on this bowl way before it hit 30 minutes.
Just like other bowls, this recipe is a great clean-out-your-fridge opportunity and that is just what I did!
A little chopping and sauteing and mixing= DINNER.
If you are one of those cool prepared people with cooked rice/quinoa ready and refrigerated you could throw it in the sauté pan and knock that time down to 15 minutes.
And that little bowl looks even better now, doesn’t it? 🙂
Well, here’s to a Tuesday that felt like Monday and a Friday that can’t get here fast enough!
Have a happy QUICK week!
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa (or 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. chicken broth (divided)
- 4oz can of green chiles
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 8oz spinach leaves
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 2 green onions
- 4 very large mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2oz Havarti (I used jalapeno Havarti)
- ½ avocado
- Salt + Pepper
- Cook quinoa according to directions on bag, substituting water for 1 cup chicken broth and adding chiles.
- Add sliced mushrooms and minced garlic to skillet with melted butter and allow to cook until tender.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted and season heavily with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cubed Havarti with remaining chicken broth and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add cooked quinoa to two bowls and top with cheesy sautéed veggies.
- Return skillet to heat and fry two eggs over easy and place on veggie bowls.
- Add toppings (chopped green onion and avocado) and enjoy!