I kinda LOVE them.
But please don’t picture a bowl of watered down iceberg lettuce with 3 slices of tomato and a couple carrot strips, because that is definitely not what I am talking about.
That would be a cafeteria salad.
It makes my heart hurt when people make comments like, “I hate salad” or “can I substitute that salad for anything else”!?
I would bet you those poor people have been having cafeteria salads all along! No wonder…I would pass on those white looking ‘greens’ too!
But if this describes you, there is certainly hope! Roasted Cherry Steak Strip Salad is quite the opposite of anything relating to those lunchroom ladies in hair nets.
oh heyyy cherry cuties. 🙂
Some of the best salads that are created in my kitchen have happened from cleaning out the fridge. And that event needed to occur…like yesterday. 0_0
Great thing is…this beauty happened *insert a million heart-eye emojis*
Crispy Romaine with roasted cherries and peppers, sugary sweet California grapes and blueberries in the mix with simple seasoned steak strips make up this bowl we called dinner.
OH, and the roasted cherries=my laziness/lack of kitchen tools
Picture me in my kitchen covered in cherry juice with purple hands and mangled cherries and that perfectly describes my first attempt at using cherries in this salad.
Um. Hand-pitting cherries is for the birds.
Toss a bunch of cherries on a baking sheet and throw in the oven for 15minutes.
This is probably something that e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e has been doing for years, but it was new to me! And I love it! The cherries took on this rich roasty-sweet flavor and with their new soft exterior, took less than a second to de-pit.
The yellow bell pepper burning a hole into my produce drawer also roasted quickly in the oven and this whole salad was a THING in 20minutes!
So call it lazy if you want, but I think DELICIOUS is the better term…
Don’t let that recipe restrict you! Use it as a guide and have fun with your own fridge ingredients!
Dressing options are limitless here as well!
Whatever you do, don’t you dare put it on iceberg.
- 1 small head Romaine (rinsed and hand torn to prevent browning)
- .5 lb. stir fry steak (thinly sliced steak)
- 1 cup red grapes (halved)
- ½ cup grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 small carrot shredded or spiralized
- 1 bell pepper (I used yellow)
- 20-25 cherries (stems removed)
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Add cherries and bell pepper strips* on a baking sheet to a 400 degree oven and allow to roast for 12-15minutes until peppers have browned.
- Prepare romaine, berries, tomatoes and carrots and set aside.
- Add steak to a small bowl and add Worcestershire sauce and salt + pepper. Heat in a skillet on medium-high heat until brown on both sides (will cook within 3-4minutes) and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, add desired dressing and toss to combine.
- 2 oz olive oil
- 1-1½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- Salt + Pepper (to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Add all ingredients to a small mason jar and shake until combined.