Colorful meal alert! Get used to it folks, because it is happening as much as possible!
I actually smiled when taking the photos for this yummy skillet. I laughed at myself when I realized I was, but it is just so peeerrrty!
This heavenly skillet is much more than just colorful—it’s YUM.
Those roasted fingerlings (pssst! more on those in a moment) combined with browned kielbasa turkey sausage and the natural flavors of grape tomatoes, onions and peppers just come alive in a happy little combo that has an easy ingredient list that you will be ALL over. The great thing about colorful savory dishes is they usually have tons of flavors all on their own.
And all the busy cooks say….. HALLELUJAH!
We’re just gonna let those flavors sing to you this time and make you “mmmmm” with every bite!
So, Fingerling potatoes.
I had never even seen these before until a few weeks ago when I was browsing our local grocery store for like the fourth time that week. Is that weird? Please tell me you hang out at the grocery store during your spare time, hitting up every clearance section and closeout shelf?!
I’ll take that as a yes…because I really need it to be yes.
For those 2 or 3 🙂 of you out there that don’t, you completely SHOULD. During those hours moments of browsing I have found the most exciting (well, for a food blogger) new ingredients and products to try out! These lovely little fingerling potatoes were one of those finds!
These cuties pack in so much flavor inside that mini colorful package and were absolutely essential to the awesome factor of this recipe!
Also competing for the star of this recipe is the kielbasa turkey sausage. Yep. Not a typo, it’s definitely turkey and NOT lacking flavor! Although regular sausage can add loads of flavor, I have a hard time adding it to our dishes. Caloric guilt, I guess you could call it.
But hey, substitute the turkey for the real thing-guilt free! I certainly won’t judge.
You love food, and that makes us friends—for always.
Regardless of your meat preference, you are going to LOVE this skillet wonder! Do yourself a favor and browse your local grocery store, because you need this sizzling in your kitchen STAT.
You will thank me 🙂
P.S. Avocado. It JUST hit me…like as I am writing this…that fresh avocado would be glorious and creamy on this potato gloriousness. Someone please try that for me and report back.
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations! ?
- 6 cups diced potatoes (I used mini/fingerling)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (halved)
- ½ large red onion
- 1 package Kielbasa sausage (I used turkey)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic
- Garlic salt
- Salt + Pepper
- Fresh Basil (optional topping)
- Asiago Cheese (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add to large bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to coat all potatoes.
- Place potatoes on non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt and add to oven.
- Allow to roast for 20 minutes, remove from oven and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, butter and minced garlic to a large skillet (I used cast iron) and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add onion and green pepper and generously season with salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken broth to reduce.
- Add grape tomatoes, diced sausage and roasted potatoes and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir occasionally.
- Cook about 5 more minutes or until sausage has browned and serve immediately.
- Optional Toppings: Add more salt and pepper, chopped fresh basil, shredded Asiago, MASHED AVOCADO... (etc.)