Sausage Pizza Casserole brings all the delicious flavors of pizza night in the ease of a delicious casserole form for every other night of the week!
This post may contain affiliate links, thanks for your support!
**Don’t miss the GIVEAWAY announcement courtesy of Jennie-O at the bottom of the post!**
We had these mini pepperonis that I was dying to use and I had picked up a Jennie-O turkey product I hadn’t tried before. Hot Italian Turkey Sausage sounded quite inviting and I knew I could make something delicious happen with it. After a long, nay, VERY long day in the backyard burning hundred’s of pounds of dead tree limps, I needed to make something happen for dinner. We had no interest in taking our smoke-coated selves to a take-out place, so I accepted the challenge of a hodge-podge dinner.
Turns out, I think I was in the mood for pizza, because what became of that delicious sausage and mini pepperoni’s was a work of casserole art-pizza style.
I am always eager to find hearty casserole dishes as well as create them. Since my mom was a wiz in the kitchen when it came to casseroles, it feels true to my childhood self. The absolute genius of compiling all these ingredients into one dish, baking them, and having a cohesive flavor that highlights so many ingredients, while also marrying them together, in the best way; is something to be appreciated.
Pizza Casserole Success
That exhausting evening, I unknowingly tossed in some of our favorite pizza ingredients, with a blend of white and brown rice, lean turkey sausage with a little heat and an Italian flair, our favorite fire-roasted tomatoes, covered with sharp cheddar and said a prayer. This was dinner regardless of the results.
To our complete relief and delight, results were: winner!
After a couple tweaks, this casserole is sure to please the fam until pizza night shows up and even packs in some veggie nutrition! But seriously…who wants to think about vegetables when pizza is being discussed?!
Pizza night! Whose comin’ over?!
Make sure you follow @wordslikehoneycomb on Instagram so you don’t miss the Instagram Giveaway for $20 worth of Jennie-O product coupons for free!!! Jennie-O has generously supplied these awesome freebies so you can enjoy delicious Jennie-O products, and make healthy eating, tasty (like pizza casserole ;))! The giveaway and How-To-Enter will be announced Thursday, January 26th 8:00 EST. and will end February 2, 2017 at midnight.
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations!
- 1 package Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1.5 cups rice (I used a mix of half brown/half white)
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 15oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers, chopped or sliced
- 1 lrg. onion, chopped
- ½ cup mini pepperoni (or regular)
- 1 cup extra sharp white cheddar (or similar)
- ½ cup ground parmesan
- ½ cup broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- olive oil spray
- Add sausage links to medium heat non-stick skillet and brown each side 2 minutes each (totaling 8 minutes).
- Add broth to the pan, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until cooked through and temperature inside reaches 165 degrees. Remove to cool and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, onion, peppers, tomatoes, spinach and seasoning. Stir to combine.
- When cooled enough to touch, slice sausage in bite-sized pieces and stir in with other ingredients.
- Prepare a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and pour in ingredients.
- Add the cheese over top and then disperse pepperonis on top of the cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes and then serve.
Other tasty casseroles to enjoy: