Don’t you love a good chili? And don’t you love it even more in a skillet!? I sure do and if that was good enough, we gave it a Mexican flare. I KNOW. ?
This dinner is for when you get home and you are just over it. Not so over it that you get take out on the way home, but the over it that requires a meal in 30 minutes or less or it ain’t happening. I get you.
And this meal has your name written ALL over it. Rough day at work, traffic the entire way home, the rain/snow hasn’t stopped (snow-of course referring to my northern readers hi!✋?✋?), and you come in the door searching for something edible before you go into a level of hangry that just isn’t pretty.
?*Hallelujah chorus is sung by all the kitchen angels* ?
Rich with flavor, cozy with the aroma of spices filling the room and on your table quick. Aside from being quick, I love how adaptable this recipe is to your own family’s tastes. Not into spicy? Cut out the chipotle hot sauce and add a very mild salsa. Want all the spice? Bump up the amount of hot sauce, throw in some hot salsa and some jalapenos!
We decided to toss in some pasta shells to be weird, but it was delightful. Some other options would be:
- Serve that goodness over rice or quinoa (hey there, filling)
- Make tacos! The chili’s thicker texture allows for a great burrito or taco filling and all the taco toppings are plenty of reason to jump on this option.
- Chili nachos are calling your name! Tortilla chips covered in chili with a good layer of cheese and broiled in the oven for complete melting love. This chili is practically giving you a hug.
- Keep it traditional! Well as traditional as Mexican-flavored chili in a skillet can be. ? Its great in a bowl as is + all the toppings because it would be silly not to.
- Should I point out the obvious? YES. This would definitely make the BEST Game Day Chili to serve to all your guests! Throw this in a crock pot and provide tortillas, bread, tortilla chips all the fun toppings like avocado, cheese and cilantro and your team will definitely win. (Don’t quote me on that)
No matter which way you serve it, they are gonna love it!
*Nutritional Information is for 1 serving size, recipe contains 8 servings about 1 cup each*
- 1lb ground beef
- 2 bell peppers (chopped)
- ½ medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 7 oz. can green chili peppers
- 16 oz. organic mild salsa
- 15 oz. organic chili beans (do not drain)
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. chipotle pepper hot sauce
- 2 green onions chopped
- Add 1 tsp. olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and add ground beef. Once brown (about 3-5 minutes) add onions, peppers and garlic sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and spices (and hot sauce, if using) and stir to combine. Lower heat to a simmer and allow sauces to cook down a bit and thicken (about 10-15 minutes).
- Allow to cool about 5 minutes and stir in chopped green onion.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
We like the following toppings for our chili: Avocado, cheese, cilantro, crackers, crunchy bread etc.
This chili makes an awesome make ahead recipe as it is even better the next day!