Smoky Chicken Chili steams away in the crock pot all day and gives chili day a healthy twist by incorporating turmeric, sweet potatoes, quinoa and lean chicken into your new favorite chili! Skip the chicken and keep things meatless!
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Crock Pot series has certainly reminded me about the cozy relationship I have with my slow cooker! From the convenient Chipotle chicken to the all-in-one stuffed peppers, each meal has that whole lack of oven thing going for it and sizzling flavor to keep any day of the week exciting!
Chicken Chili Essentials
It only seems appropriate to end our series with my favorite, most fall-loving crock pot option-CHILI. Nothing shouts game day (basically foodie heaven), get-together, or block party like everyone’s favorite bone-coating, holder of all the toppings- chili! I love ’em all. Not a chili will be denied in my presence whether it be white chili, hot chili, sweet chili, meatless chili, or good old thick dip-a-chip-in-it chili! And with all these options, obviously we need another- Smoky Chicken Chili to be exact!
The smoky levels of this rich chili are only made possible by the well-loved turmeric, chili beans, and -of course- chili powder. Ground breaking? no. But essential to its deep red coloring and distinct “bomb diggidy” status (Steven’s opinion of this dish).
More than just the smoky flavors are joining this chili party! Yes, we are pumping this chili up with quinoa for staying power and sweet potatoes to balance out the smoky duo. Don’t tell the family, but we are totally packing in the nutrients and being all sneaky about it!
And since your a chili-lover like me I am throwing a short cut in for you 😉 The chicken? Yep. It’s gonna cook itself for you along with the chili. No separate cooking and cutting and stirring in! It’s chili day and it should be easy.
The great thing about all that smoky chili goodness? It stands all on it’s own quite nicely! In fact, don’t tell the others, but I actually loved it even more without the chicken ?! Plus, no chicken means more room for toppings. muahaha!
No matter which path you choose, this is a keeper!! <3
Pro Tip: Make overnight and then pack in the refrigerator until the evening! Chili is even better when its had a chance to settle and all the spices soak into each little bean and sweet potato cube!
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations!
Tools used in this Recipe:
- 1.5-2lbs chicken, thawed
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 lrg. red onion, diced
- 1 lrg. sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 cup corn (frozen or otherwise)
- 15 oz. (or 2 cups) red kidney beans, drained if canned
- 15 oz. mild chili beans, lightly drained
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2-4 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*
- Optional Toppings: Greek yogurt, sour cream, green onion, cilantro, avocado, cheddar
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker and sprinkle all seasonings over the chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir lightly to combine, cover and cook on low 8-10hrs.
- The chili will become thicker the longer it cooks.
- Place all ingredients (sans chicken) in the crock pot and stir. Be sure to use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth and cook on low for 8hrs.
Try these other chili recipes: