As I mentioned previously, Basil is tied for first in my Favorite Herb Ranking and it will probably be remaining there. I need it to be inside of, or on, 95% of my summer meals (that’s a real stat guys). As you may have guessed, caprese is one of those meals.
In my dream summer world (it’s a thing), I would plop myself on the couch and eat that tomato, basil and mozzarella combo 4 out of 5 nights a week and be in heaven, but alas my husband would starve.
So to make my taste buds happy and appease a big-eater husband, I add my caprese combo to Naan bread, to make Summer Caprese Flat bread!
This delicious flat bread is a favorite in our household and never seems to get old. But what really takes it to the next level is drizzling reduced Balsamic Vinegar on top and dipping into homemade guacamole, because what ISN’T better with Guac?! See my post on Easy Spicy Guac here!
In case you have never tried reducing balsamic vinegar, don’t be scared! It sounds complicated but it SO isn’t. All you have to do is pour the vinegar into a small sauce pan to cook over a medium heat (low boil) for about 15-18 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally and you will have a syrupy type sauce to drizzle over your Caprese and be soaked up by that flat bread.
Speaking of… HELLO…that bread.
Do you guys know naan bread? If you haven’t tried it, go get ALL the packages now, because once you try it there will be no going back. It’s the best chewy, tasty foundation for any/all toppings and I heart it.
It especially makes these flavorful toppings SING for JOY in ma’ mouth; which we all need in life.
I need you to head to the store NOW, or your garden (if you are one of those people that I wish would SHARE their garden with me—stingy) and grab these simple ingredients to make your own Caprese Flat bread!
And remember, you are mainly eating VEGGIES, so extra cheese is permitted, because I said so.
Y’all just keep that in mind.
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations! ?
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4-5 large basil leaves (1 package, if store bought) + extra for serving
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package naan flat bread
- salt + pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Add 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a sauce pan and allow to boil slightly for approximately 15-18 minutes. Adjust heat to prevent burning, if necessary. Vinegar will appear as syrup when ready. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes and mozzarella, chop basil leaves and set all aside.
- Add olive oil to small food processor with garlic and blend till garlic is minced.
- Place flat bread on a nonstick baking sheet and brush on garlic oil mixture.
- Begin layering ingredients starting with tomatoes, basil and then cheese and top generously with salt and pepper.
- Place in 400 degree oven and bake for 10minutes or until mozzarella melts and sides begin to brown.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, slice and serve with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.