Ohhhh Wednesday. How in the world did you already arrive?? Summer weeks just seem to fly by faster and faster every year. Why?! Slooooowwwww doooowwwn. Other than these afternoons speeding by, the summer heat can NOT be denied right now. Glorious and sunny as it may be for some, here in Georgia it is plain ole’ HUMID here. Summers are bittersweet here but they do allow for a smaller appetite for this gal. #win
Along with a smaller appetite, I am much less likely to be spending my evenings over a hot stove because…yuck. Therefore, the daily goal is satisfying my tummy with as little heat interaction as possible. My go to during these times-salad.
WAIT!! Don’t leave…it gets better I promise!
I feel like salad gets a really bad rap most of the time but GUYS I re-fall in love with them errrytime. And that love reignites because of wonderful seasonal ingredients like plump sweet blueberries, roasted sweet corn and, my personal favorite, grapes! Combine that sweetness with crispy corn tortilla strips and honey roasted peanuts, drizzled with homemade Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette and you have a winner!
Sweet n’ Salty Roasted salad is just BURSTing with flavor, friends, and caused me to audibly “MMMMM” more times than I care to admit. #toomuch
The quick roast of corn in the oven caused me to make an extra batch since I hovered over the bowl and ate…ya know….the ENTIRE THING. True story. Nothing left to photograph. An issue I encounter like daily. But, hey, more recipe testing for you guys and the second batch was just.as.good.
The thing I love about this salad is that everything can be made ahead! I roast up my corn and crispy corn tortilla strips ahead of time and use them all week! And how about the Homemade Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette that compliments all the salad ingredients perfectly, you say? YEP! Grab your mini food processor or blender and throw those ingredients in because you will have homemade dressing within SECONDS.
Do me a favor and give this little bowl of sunshine a try! You know that many colorful ingredients can’t disappoint!
P.S. I have listed what I used to make a small salad, however, feel free to alter the ingredients to your own liking…as in ALL the tortilla strips you want; because I ate about 24987, before placing any on my salad.
If you try this recipe, make sure you post a photo on the socials [Instagram|Twitter|Facebook|Pinterest] and use the hash tag #wordslikehoneycomb so we can see! It’s my favorite to see your creations! ?
- 1 ½ cups spinach leaves
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup red grapes (halved)
- 1 small roma tomato (seeded and diced)
- 1tbsp honey roasted peanuts
- 1tbsp roasted corn
- 2 corn tortillas sliced into strips
- Salt + Pepper
- For Roasting Corn: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place desired amount of corn on baking sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in oven for 10 minutes (shaking pan at 5minutes to allow even roasting) or until corn begins shrink slightly. Remove from oven to cool and begin preparing tortilla strips.
- For Crispy Corn Tortilla Strips: Slice corn tortillas in desired strips (I used pizza cutter, see photograph reference above).
- Lay strips on cooling rack placed inside a baking sheet.
- Spray strips generously with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and lay out on paper towels to cool and continue to crisp.
- Add all ingredients to salad bowl, toss, and drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad.
- 1tbsp cilantro (packed)
- 2tbsp honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2tbsp lime juice
- 1tbsp minced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt + pepper
- Add cilantro, honey, olive oil, lime juice, red onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar to food processor or blender.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend until combined.